It has been on our list for a long time to make vegan sausages from scratch. We love the idea of being able to make everything from scratch and surprisingly vegan sausages are not that hard to make.
These sausages take some time and patience, but in the end is totally worth it!
Thank you so much to Brickwork’s Ciderhouse, located in Toronto, ON, for partnering with us for this and many other recipes. They have been so amazing to us this year by providing us with their pear and peach cider, as well as a case of their parent company’s Mill Street Organic! Working with a brand and products that you love has truly been amazing.
If you are interested in seeing any of our past recipes in partnership with Brickwork’s Ciderhouse see them linked below:
If you have access to the amazing products from these awesome brands be sure to check them out! They are definitely our favourite cider and beer.
Vegan Beer Sausages
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup Mill Street Organic Beer + more for BBQ brushing
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp, salt & pepper
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- Slice your mushrooms and sautee in oil on medium heat until soft.
- Rinse your black beans and add to your food processor along with your sauteed mushrooms, miso paste, soy sauce, beer and liquid smoke. Give it a quick couple of pulses to mix.
- Add your gluten, fennel, garlic, onion, sage, mustard powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and all spice. Blend until combined and elastic.
- Divide your dough into 6-8 balls and roll into sausages.
- Warp each sausage tightly in tin foil and twist the ends closed.
- Steam your sausages in a steamer or do what we did and make a steamer by boiling water in a large pot, setting a sieve on top and placing you sausages in the sieve. Cover with a lid and set to steam for 45 minutes. Ensure to peak in every once and a while to ensure that there is still water in the pot!
- Once steamed unroll and barbecue your sausages to get those grill lines. Be sure to brush with beer a fair bit while barbecuing to keep it from drying out.
- Top with you favourite toppings.