What is summer without ice cream? Can it even be consider summer if you don’t have ice cream? We don’t think so.
I (Kat) absolutely love different flavours of ice cream. Vanilla is great and all, but whenever I see an odd flavour of ice cream I have to try it. Maybe it’s because since going vegan I can’t normally get those weird flavours anymore or maybe it’s because I am weird. Either way, they’re delicious.
Strawberry Basil is one of those favourite flavours, which is why I had to give it a try myself. This ice cream is amazing, not only because it is delicious, but because you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it! It’s creamy and flavourful all without spending the extra money on an ice cream maker.
Strawberry Basil Ice Cream
Makes: about 2 cups
- 3 cans coconut cream, chilled in fridge overnight
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries + 1/4 cup for garnish
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil + 1-2 leaves for garnish
- Add your pitted dates to a small bowl and add boiling water until covered. Leave the dates to soak in the water for about 10 minutes. This will make them a lot easier to blend.
- To a blender add your strawberries and water and blend until smooth. Add your basil and blend until smooth.
- Add your softened dates to your strawberry mix and blend until smooth.
- Add your strawberry mix to a chilled stand mixer bowl along with the cream from the chilled coconut cream cans. You just want the coconut cream on top, not the water. Mix until light and fluffy. It may take a few minutes.
- Add your strawberry chunks and basil leaves for garnish and crunch into your ice cream mix. Lightly fold them in.
- Add your mix to a parchment lined loaf pan and set in the freezer for at least 6 hours.