Continuing on with our countdown to Canada Day! Every BBQ needs a good pasta side dish. Pasta salad is one of my favourite things because it is a good fridge clearer. Cook up some pasta and use up any of the vegetables left over in your fridge and add a dressing. Pasta salads can be so easy.
However when they are planned out, pasta salads can be star amongst any party. No matter how planned out, pasta salads are super easy to make and a a lighter addition to what could be a heavy meal at a BBQ.
This pasta salad and is one of our favourites because of how easy, simple and jam packed full of flavour it is. It is so refreshing and can be made with everyday fridge staples!
Tomato Basil Pasta Salad
- 2 cups, uncooked brown rice penne pasta
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 1 cup kale, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup soft vegan cheese
- In a medium sized pot bring salt water to a boil and add your pasta and cook al dente according to the instructions on the packaging. When the pasta is cooked al dente drain the water and run the pasta under cold water to prevent it from cooking any further.
- Dice your cherry tomatoes and add to a medium sized bowl, along with finely diced fresh basil, minced garlic, diced onion, sliced kale and oil. Mix until all coated.
- Add your pepper to taste, just about pinch should do.
- Thinly slice your sundried tomatoes and add to your tomato basil mixture.
- Combine your pasta and tomato basil mixture in a bowl and toss.
- Finally add your creamy vegan cheese and serve!