If I have the option to get a Banh Mi, I am going to get a Banh Mi. They are seriously my favourite sandwich ever. They are the perfect combination of flavours and freshness. You taste a new flavour with every bite. Make these babies and you’ll agree with me.
A Banh Mi is so jam packed full of delicious flavour pops so it’s important to have the right balance of the flavours or else it can just be overwhelming. The combination of fresh veg, pickled veg and pan fried tofu is seriously perfect. Don’t believe us? Just make this recipe and you’ll see.
I could honestly eat this every day and be just fine. Be warned the ingredients list is long and there is quite a bit of prep work but it is so worth it and super easy to make. It just takes some time.
- 1 large baguette
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- cilantro, for topping
- sriracha, for topping (optional)
Pickled Veggies: (Important to do this step the night before or at least 1 hour prior!)
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 cup daikon, julienned
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 1 – 2 cups water
Tofu & Marinade
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup veggie broth
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all spice
- 1 jalapeno, divided
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Pro Tip: If you can pickle your veggies the night before you plan on making these it is best! If not, make them at least 1 hour prior to making your sandwiches.
- Prepare your pickles veggies by julienne slicing you carrots and daikon and adding them to a mason jar. Add 5-6 slices of jalapenos.
- To the mason jar add white wine vinegar, rice vinegar and enough water to cover all the veggies. Let sit in your fridge preferably overnight or at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a shallow dish add veg broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, onion, black pepper, all spice and 3 slices of jalapeno and mix until all combined.
- Thinly slice your tofu and add to the marinade. Let it marinade for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Thinly slice your cucumber length wise. Cut them long enough to go across the entire length of your sandwich. Set aside.
- After about 10 minutes of marinating your tofu add lime juice and stir. Let sit.
- Prepare your baguette by dividing into desired sandwich sizes and slicing in half.
- In a small pan on medium heat pan fry your tofu slices in a little bit of sesame oil until browned and crispy.
- Toast your baguette in the oven for 5-10 minutes. You want it just toasty, once it starts to brown take it out!
- Spread vegan mayo on each sandwich and assemble. Adding sprigs of cilantro at the end for extra flavour and garnish!
Pro Tip: This sandwich is amazing with a little sriracha drizzled on top!