It’s almost Easter and most holiday dinner tables feature a good potato dish that’s why this week we are giving you a classic one. Scalloped Potatoes.
These potatoes are creamy and cheesy and oh so fragrant. The whole house will be filled with a great aroma if you bake these babies.
We did ours in individual portions but this could easily be turned into a large portion and made family style. Family style foods are some of our favourites.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 3-4 russet potatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup crispy onions*
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Thinly slice potatoes and set aside.
- Mince cloves of garlic.
- In a pan on medium head add butter. Once melted add fresh thyme, be sure to remove them once you are finished with the sauce.
- Add the minced garlic and all-purpose flour. Stir it around until the flour and butter form a paste. Add nutritional yeast, pepper and salt.
- Finally add non-dairy milk. Continue to stir until a gravy like consistency.
- Assemble by layering potatoes, a little sauce, vegan cheese shreds and some crispy onions. The crispy onions are optional but recommended.
- Fill layers right to the top. Bake for about 1 hour. We baked them uncovered for the first 30 minutes then covered them with tin foil for the remaining time.
*We found ours pre-made at the grocery store. Be sure to check the label to see if its vegan.