When becoming vegan it is important to do it correctly. There are a lot of unhealthy vegans out there because they just do not do their research about what their body needs. That is why we love working with tofu.
Tofu is so easy to work with takes the taste of what you season it with. However it is also a great source of protein. But wait, it doesn’t end there. Tofu is also full of amino acids, calcium and iron. Do yourself a favour and add some tofu into your diet.
Don’t know how? We are here to help. Tofu is so easy to work with, you just have to work with it. Find out what works and what doesn’t work for you and play with it every step of the way.
One of our favourite ways to work with tofu is in a delicious tofu scramble. They are super easy to make and are a great substitute if you are missing scrambled eggs in the morning.
Mexican Spiced Tofu Scramble
- 1 block tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 mushroom, sliced
- 1/3 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese
- Prep your onion, garlic, mushrooms, kale and set aside. In a small bowl add all your spices and the water. Mix until a paste forms.
- In a cast iron pan on medium heat add some oil, onion and garlic. Saute until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms. Then add the crumbled tofu. You may need to add a touch more oil at this point.
- Add the spice blend and mix it all in.
- Add the kale and cover with a lid to steam it. Then top with vegan cheese and mix until melted. We then added sriracha for extra heat, this part is optional.