Two of our favourite things at TMG are Brickwork’s Cider and the fact that Doritos Sweet Chili Heat are vegan. Oh and tacos. Okay, so three of our favourite things at TMG are Brickwork’s Cider, the fact that Doritos Sweet Chili Heat are vegan and tacos. Good thing this recipe incorporates all of those things.
Yea, you heard that right. This recipe incorporates cider, Doritos and tacos. Talk about dream come true.
There are a lot of flavours, but each flavour complements the next oh so well, and the spice kicks it up another awesome notch. These tacos are sure to impress all those non-vegans out there who think vegans just east salads.
Seriously though, we can’t remember the last time we had a salad. Salads have lettuce in them right?
Cider & Doritos Crusted Tofu Tacos
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, divided
- Brickwork’s Ciderhouse Queen Street 501
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, for topping
- 1 bag Sweet Chili Heat Doritos
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp rice milk
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp dried dill, heaping
- 1 1/2 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 small carrot, grated or julienned
- 6-8 taco tortillas
- Press your tofu to drain the water for 15 minutes. You can do this by wrapping it in paper towels and setting heavy, flat, objects on top of it. We use a cast iron pan with some cookbooks piled on top.
- While your tofu is pressing, get your oil ready to deep fry and make your ranch drizzle. To make the drizzle combine vegan mayo, rice milk, sriracha, 1/2 tsp garlic, 1/2 tsp onion powder and dried dill. Mix until all combined. Set aside.
- Once tofu has been pressed for about 15 minutes, chop it into small cubes or the size of your liking.
- Add 1 cup flour to a bowl and add 1 cup of cider; mix well. Keep adding cider until you get a pancake batter like consistency. About 1-1 1/2 cups.
- Finely chop your 2 tbsp cilantro and add it to the cider batter. Add 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp of onion powder and mix it all together. Set aside.
- Add your Doritos to a ziploc bag and crush them until they look like breadcrumb size. Add your crushed Doritos to a bowl. You can add some cayenne pepper to them in order to kick up the spice, but that is optional.
- To one last bowl add a 1/2 cup of flour for dredging.
- Roll your tofu cubes in flour, then batter, then crushed Doritos and fry them until they are golden brown. Repeat until all your tofu cubes are fried. Set fried tofu on a plate lined with paper towel, to absorb any extra oil from them.
- Finely slice your kale and add to a bowl. Massage it with lemon juice until slightly wilted. Add agave nectar and toss.
- Grate or julienne your carrot into the kale and mix. Add salt to taste.
- Dice your avocado and assemble your tacos.
- On a tortilla place some of the kale slaw, fried tofu, ranch drizzle, fresh cilantro and your avocado.
- Show off your awesome creation and enjoy!